Applying to the Housing Choice Voucher Program
- Basic Info
Applicant families must meet the following requirements:
- Meet HUD's definition of family
- Meet income limits specified by HUD
- Qualify on the basis of citizenship or the eligible immigrant status
- Provide social security number information
- Sign required consent forms
- Pass screening process
- DCA's website and social media
- The newspaper of general circulation in the applicable county(ies)
- Minority media newspapers, when available
- DCA's application assistance phone line: (888) 858-6085
Preliminary applications will only be accepted through DCA's Applicant Portal. Once the wait lists open, the portal will be available 24 hours per day until the wait lists close. The application can be completed from any computer or cell phone with Internet access (e.g.. home, library, community-based organizations). If assistance is required to complete the preliminary application, resources for assistance will be listed in the wait lists opening announcement.
Once the wait lists close, all completed preliminary applications will then be selected by a random lottery process for placement on DCA's wait lists. If a preliminary application is chosen from the lottery, a letter will be sent to the family informing them of their placement into the lottery wait lists. A determination of program eligibility will be made before actual placement on the wait lists. Once a voucher becomes available, the next applicant at the top of the wait lists will be contacted by DCA with further steps in the process.